04 May Osteopathy for Babies
Osteopathy is a gentle, safe, and holistic approach of osteopathic treatment used for babies and children. This form of treatment involves the gentle manipulation of the baby’s head and spine to increase their comfort. This is particularly helpful for babies that are having trouble passing wind or struggle to settle down because of discomfort. The aim of cranial osteopathy is to remove any tension that may have occurred during the pregnancy or delivery, and to restore the proper balance and alignment of the baby’s body to enhance their development, health, and wellbeing.
Osteopaths can rebalance the baby’s tension by using the appropriate gentle techniques when working on the baby.
For new-borns and infant’s, osteopathy can ease the physical stress experienced during the pregnancy and birth. It is also effective for:
- Trauma caused from a difficult delivery.
- Breastfeeding challenges, if the baby has difficulty latching onto the nipple or prefers feeding from one side.
- Crying or fussiness.
- Difficulty settling down.
- Colic symptoms.
- Sleep disturbances.
- Digestive issues.
- Congenital torticollis. When the baby holds their neck at an odd position, because of tight, short neck muscles. This condition is also known as twisted neck.
- An asymmetrical head shapes.
In toddlers and older children osteopathic treatment can be helpful for:
- Strengthening their immune system.
- Reducing any muscular tension caused by recurring ear, nose, and sinus infections.
- Reducing any muscular tension caused by Asthma and respiratory infections.
- Calming and energising children with behavioural and learning disabilities.
- Releasing strain from head or tailbone injuries after a fall.
- Correcting, strengthening, and preventing postural abnormalities.
What you can expect during a treatment:
Osteopaths will consult with you, the parent, to find out about your child’s past and present medical history. A case history, which includes questions about the pregnancy, delivery, family, and medical history as well as the baby’s daily routine will also be taken.
After the consultation, your baby will have a full body examination, in which the osteopath will apply their hands to the baby’s head, back, stomach, neck and limbs. This palpatory examination is used to detect the sources of discomfort for your baby. A small amount of pressure is applied to ease the tension in the muscles or joints.
With the information gathered during the consultation and examination, the osteopath will form a diagnosis and treatment plan. This will give you an indication as to how many sessions are required. For some babies one session may be enough, but for others that have a more complicated case a longer course of treatment will be required.
After a session, your child may appear slightly unsettled. This is a normal reaction to osteopathic treatment, and it often settles quite quickly. Other times they may have a good night sleep and feed better. Each child will respond differently to treatment.
At OsteoVision our osteopaths have completed specialist post-grad qualifications and have hands on experience in treating children and babies. Contact us to book an appointment or to discuss any of your queries or concerns. Our osteopaths are always on hand to assist you.
Call: 033030 904 300
You can also visit our website www.osteovision.life to book an appointment online.